Prince George started out as a fir trading post called Fort George which was established in 1807 by Simon Fraser and the northwest company. The Post was created in the centre Of the land occupied by the Leidli T’enneh First Nations. During the 1800s Fort George remained a small trading post, while surrounding towns prospered. Fort St. James became the main trading post while Quesnel and Barkerville prospered by the Cariboo Gold Rush.
It wasn’t until 1903 that Fort George started and prosper with the announcement that the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway would pass close to the trading post. Agricultural settlements began to spout up in the areas around Fort George. In 1909 two communities were being built one Central Fort George which was built on the Nechako River and South Fort George built along the Fraser River close to the trading post. Both communities flourished. Both town sites were booming as thousands of railway construction workers came to town for entertainment and supplies. By 1914 the railway was completed and the railways town site, Prince George were the station was built was incorporated on March 6 1915.
With the onset of World War 1 in 1914 the economy in Prince George was devastated when the construction of the pacific great eastern railway was stopped and with many of local men enlisting there was a large drop in the population. Then in the 1920s and 30s with the Great depression there was very little growth until World War 2 when an army base was built bring in new life to the business of Prince George.
With the war over there was a large demand for lumber for rebuilding creating an economic boom in the lumber industry. Prince George prospered with its large supply of spruce trees and sawmills there was lots of employment. Prince George was once again growing in population and economically. Then in 1952 the pacific great eastern railway was completed and joined with the CN Rail line, with the completion of Highways 97 and 16 Prince George truly became the hub of northern British Columbia.
Then in 1964 Prince George Pulp and Paper mill was built followed by intercontinental and Northwood pulp in 1966. Creating a need for more housing. Prince George was again growing and the subdivisions of Lakeland, Spruceland, Highglen, and Perry were built. In 1975 Prince George extended it borders to include the Hart Highway area, Pineview and the old south Fort George town site.